Yes, You can Heather! Book review.

Yes, I know that this book is old. But my sister found it at a thrift store and thought I might like it.
Did I like it? I loved it!
It's about a girl named Heather Whitestone, who went profoundly deaf when she was 18 months old.
She had a goal, that goal was to become Miss America!  People thought she couldn't do it, after all, she was deaf.
People told her that she wouldn't have a normal life, or a good future, as she can only have an education up to the third grade. Why? Because she's deaf? She's clearly not stupid!
She started participating in pageants and won a lot of them! Or at least won sonething from it, usually the talent contest as she was do amazing at ballet.
She graduated with honors from high school.
So much for that third grade education!
She kept a friendship with God through everything, praising Him for everything and anything. Trusting Him no matter what. Through everything!
She had a goal, and most people thought she couldn't fulfill it. Why? Because she is deaf.  I, for one, was rooting for her throughout the book even though I already knew she won!
I have no idea why people think that being deaf means you can't accomplish your goals. God had a plan for her life, and He put it into action when she was just 18 months old. Incredible!
In one part of the book, Heather explains how everyone has a handicap, just hers is more noticeable. That's true! I don't know what mine is, maybe I do but I don't realize it. But I know it will be revealed to me one day. I am waiting for it so that I know what it is. Not to be angry at it, or to try to fix it. It can't be fixed. God put it there for a reason!
Heather is by far one of my role models now. I want to do things just like her.
Believe in the big things, and trust God on what His plans for me are.
I hope you all trust God too.
Be who God made you to be! Live life fully and fearlessly!
Do you know anyone who is deaf? Or if someone who is deaf? Don't think of them as lesser than you. All of us are equal. God created us that way!
I know letter sign and am learning sign language for those that are deaf and use sign. I want to be able to communicate with them. Talk with them. Not look at them as outcasts or as different and dumb. They're not!
I encourage you to try to do something about it next time you run into a deaf person. They may not understand you, but at least try. You never know, sometimes they may be uncomfortable not being able to hear.

Galatians 3:28“There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.”


Believe that! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Kittens!! πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ™€

Review of When Through Deep Waters

Losing someone you love